Friday, November 15, 2019

Majestic Ride for Truth and Right



Psalm 45 celebrates the marriage of an archetypical ancient Hebrew king. The imagery goes well beyond David or Solomon. It is addressed in the second person (you) to the king, and the language interweaves the king and God seamlessly. Seen through New Testament eyes, it takes on Messianic significance, and may be construed as pointing to the ecstatic love between Christ and the Church as the bride at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb.

Now, I am not interested in sorting out all of the possibilities and pitfalls of interpreting this Psalm, but as I let it prompt my prayers this morning against the backdrop of the current proceedings in Washington, a couple of lines caught my attention. First, verse 7 asserts that this king’s “royal scepter is a scepter of equity” in the hand of one who “loves righteousness and hates wickedness.” I am certainly do not expect, nor do I think it would be healthy, that people in the US government be my brand (or any) of Christian. But as I prayed this morning, this line prompted me to pray that people in positions of public leadership would have integrity, authenticity, transparency as they advocate for all people (especially the weak, poor, struggling, and marginalized) to receive justice, peace, prosperity, and compassion. Regardless of political philosophy, I also pray for those who serve in government (elected, appointed, or hired staff) to be competent. As I discussed this with God this morning, I found my prayer becoming a lament.

With the daily details emerging from the proceedings in Washington, I was originally drawn to verse 4. “In your majesty ride on victoriously for the cause of truth and to defend the right.” I do not believe this Psalm celebrates anything and everything done by anyone in a position similar to an ancient Hebrew king. Rather, clear promotion and protection of truth and right are what can legitimately be celebrated. So this morning I told God (I know that sounds presumptuous) that regardless of political posturing, I want to see truth and right emerge from the current proceedings in Washington.

Still praying my lament, I moved on to Psalm 75 and was jolted by verses 7-8. I conclude by letting them stand on their own. “It is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed; he will pour a draught from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.”


No comments: