Monday, March 23, 2020

The Right Path Through the Darkest Valley

Yesterday (March 22, 2020) Psalm 23 was suggested by the lectionary for reading in worship, and today (March 23) it was first in my Psalm prayers. Sometimes receiving what such familiar passages offer can be challenging, but then seemingly unrelated events bring them alive with fresh power.
I have noticed before the contrast between "he leads me in right paths" (v. 3 NRSV) and "even though I walk through the darkest valley" (v. 4 NRSV). I am sure I am not alone in thinking (hoping) that right paths would detour around the darkest valleys. I do not think the Psalm is suggesting that there are two different paths on which God leads us, but that even the darkest valley is the right path when God is leading.
As confident as I am in God's sovereignty in harmony with the best of Reformed theology, I do not believe God is a manipulator of events, and certainly to not believe God sent COVID-19 as punishment. I wrote about that on March 16. http://nstolpepilgrim.blogspo tht.com/2020/03/who-sinned.html But I do believe God is present in our present moments (per Jean-Perrre de Caussade's 1741 book now titled "The Sacrament of the Present Moment). We need only pay attention (which is the point of contemplative practices).
Something I hadn't noticed before in 50 years of praying these Psalms on the 23rd of each month, are these line from Psalm 143 that seem to come full circle back to Psalm 23. "Teach me the way I should to." (v. 8) and "Teach me to do ou will ... Let your good spirit lead me on a level path." (v. 10)

No comments: