Thursday, June 11, 2020

Confessing the Sins of History


In light of the variety of things prompting a reexamination of US history, these lines from the Hebrew Scriptures seem to speak significantly. I understand that they each come from a time and context quite different from our own, and I am not trying to directly connect those specifics with our specifics but only suggest a biblically appropriate historical retrospective that offers hope for a more constructive future. For sure, in no way is the US equivalent to ancient Israel, but it seems to me that the People of the Book have an opportunity to point in a healthy, counter-cultural direction in our time.

Psalm 106:6
Both we and our ancestors have sinned; we have committed iniquity, have done wickedly.

Psalm 79:8
Do not remember against us the iniquities of our ancestors; let your compassion come speedily to meet us, for we are brought very low.

Ezra 10:1
While Ezra prayed and made confession, weeping and throwing himself down before the house of God, a very great assembly of men, women, and children gathered to him out of Israel; the people also wept bitterly.

Nehemiah 1.6:
Let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel, confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Both I and my family have sinned.

Daniel 9:3-5
I turned to the Lord God, to seek an answer by prayer and supplication with fasting and sackcloth and ashes. I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, “Ah, Lord, great and awesome God, keeping covenant and steadfast love with those who love you and keep your commandments, we have sinned.


No comments: