Sunday, April 9, 2017

Boomerang Psalms

Here is a selection of what I have called Boomerang Psalms. With these to start you thinking, you can identify others as you read. 


Psalm 5
1Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing. 2Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray. 3O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.

4For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil will not sojourn with you. 5The boastful will not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. 6You destroy those who speak lies; the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.

7But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love, will enter your house, I will bow down toward your holy temple in awe of you. 8Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me.

9For there is no truth in their mouths; their hearts are destruction; their throats are open graves; they flatter with their tongues. 10Make them bear their guilt, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; because of their many transgressions cast them out, for they have rebelled against you.

11But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, so that those who love your name may exult in you. 12For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover them with favor as with a shield.

Psalm 7
1O Lord my God, in you I take refuge; save me from all my pursuers, and deliver me, 2or like a lion they will tear me apart; they will drag me away, with no one to rescue.

3O Lord my God, if I have done this, if there is wrong in my hands, 4if I have repaid my ally with harm or plundered my foe without cause, 5then let the enemy pursue and overtake me, trample my life to the ground, and lay my soul in the dust.

6Rise up, O Lord, in your anger; lift yourself up against the fury of my enemies; awake, O my God; you have appointed a judgment. 7Let the assembly of the peoples be gathered around you, and over it take your seat on high. 8The Lord judges the peoples; judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness and according to the integrity that is in me.

9O let the evil of the wicked come to an end, but establish the righteous, you who test the minds and hearts, O righteous God. 10God is my shield, who saves the upright in heart. 11God is a righteous judge, and a God who has indignation every day.

12If one does not repent, God will whet his sword; he has bent and strung his bow; 13he has prepared his deadly weapons, making his arrows fiery shafts. 14See how they conceive evil, and are pregnant with mischief, and bring forth lies. 15They make a pit, digging it out, and fall into the hole that they have made. 16Their mischief returns upon their own heads, and on their own heads their violence descends.

17I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness, and sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.

Psalm 9
1I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. 2I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

3When my enemies turned back, they stumbled and perished before you. 4For you have maintained my just cause; you have sat on the throne giving righteous judgment.

5You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked; you have blotted out their name forever and ever. 6The enemies have vanished in everlasting ruins; their cities you have rooted out; the very memory of them has perished.

7But the Lord sits enthroned forever, he has established his throne for judgment. 8He judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with equity.

9The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. 10And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

11Sing praises to the Lord, who dwells in Zion. Declare his deeds among the peoples. 12For he who avenges blood is mindful of them; he does not forget the cry of the afflicted.

13Be gracious to me, O Lord. See what I suffer from those who hate me; you are the one who lifts me up from the gates of death, 14so that I may recount all your praises, and, in the gates of daughter Zion, rejoice in your deliverance.

15The nations have sunk in the pit that they made; in the net that they hid has their own foot been caught. 16The Lord has made himself known, he has executed judgment; the wicked are snared in the work of their own hands.

17The wicked shall depart to Sheol, all the nations that forget God. 18For the needy shall not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the poor perish forever.

19Rise up, O Lord! Do not let mortals prevail; let the nations be judged before you. 20Put them in fear, O Lord; let the nations know that they are only human.

Psalm 10
1Why, O Lord, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? 2In arrogance the wicked persecute the poor— let them be caught in the schemes they have devised.

3For the wicked boast of the desires of their heart, those greedy for gain curse and renounce the Lord. 4In the pride of their countenance the wicked say, “God will not seek it out”; all their thoughts are, “There is no God.”

5Their ways prosper at all times; your judgments are on high, out of their sight; as for their foes, they scoff at them. 6They think in their heart, “We shall not be moved; throughout all generations we shall not meet adversity.”

7Their mouths are filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under their tongues are mischief and iniquity. 8They sit in ambush in the villages; in hiding places they murder the innocent.

Their eyes stealthily watch for the helpless; 9they lurk in secret like a lion in its covert; they lurk that they may seize the poor; they seize the poor and drag them off in their net.

10They stoop, they crouch, and the helpless fall by their might. 11They think in their heart, “God has forgotten, he has hidden his face, he will never see it.”

12Rise up, O Lord; O God, lift up your hand; do not forget the oppressed. 13Why do the wicked renounce God, and say in their hearts, “You will not call us to account”?

14But you do see! Indeed you note trouble and grief, that you may take it into your hands; the helpless commit themselves to you; you have been the helper of the orphan.

15Break the arm of the wicked and evildoers; seek out their wickedness until you find none. 16The Lord is king forever and ever; the nations shall perish from his land.

17O Lord, you will hear the desire of the meek; you will strengthen their heart, you will incline your ear 18to do justice for the orphan and the oppressed, so that those from earth may strike terror no more.

Psalm 35
1Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me! 2Take hold of shield and buckler, and rise up to help me! 3Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers; say to my soul, “I am your salvation.”

4Let them be put to shame and dishonor who seek after my life. Let them be turned back and confounded who devise evil against me. 5Let them be like chaff before the wind, with the angel of the Lord driving them on. 6Let their way be dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them.

7For without cause they hid their net for me; without cause they dug a pit for my life. 8Let ruin come on them unawares. And let the net that they hid ensnare them; let them fall in it—to their ruin.

9Then my soul shall rejoice in the Lord, exulting in his deliverance. 10All my bones shall say, “O Lord, who is like you? You deliver the weak from those too strong for them, the weak and needy from those who despoil them.”

11Malicious witnesses rise up; they ask me about things I do not know. 12They repay me evil for good; my soul is forlorn. 13But as for me, when they were sick, I wore sackcloth; I afflicted myself with fasting. I prayed with head bowed on my bosom, 14as though I grieved for a friend or a brother; I went about as one who laments for a mother, bowed down and in mourning.

15But at my stumbling they gathered in glee, they gathered together against me; ruffians whom I did not know tore at me without ceasing; 16they impiously mocked more and more, gnashing at me with their teeth.

17How long, O Lord, will you look on? Rescue me from their ravages, my life from the lions!
18Then I will thank you in the great congregation; in the mighty throng I will praise you.

19Do not let my treacherous enemies rejoice over me, or those who hate me without cause wink the eye. 20For they do not speak peace, but they conceive deceitful words against those who are quiet in the land. 21They open wide their mouths against me; they say, “Aha, Aha, our eyes have seen it.”

22You have seen, O Lord; do not be silent! O Lord, do not be far from me! 23Wake up! Bestir yourself for my defense, for my cause, my God and my Lord! 24Vindicate me, O Lord, my God, according to your righteousness, and do not let them rejoice over me. 25Do not let them say to themselves, “Aha, we have our heart’s desire.” Do not let them say, “We have swallowed you up.”

26Let all those who rejoice at my calamity be put to shame and confusion; let those who exalt themselves against me be clothed with shame and dishonor.

27Let those who desire my vindication shout for joy and be glad, and say evermore, “Great is the Lord, who delights in the welfare of his servant.” 28Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness and of your praise all day long.

Psalm 37
1Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers, 2for they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb.

3Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security. 4Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. 6He will make your vindication shine like the light, and the justice of your cause like the noonday.

7Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him; do not fret over those who prosper in their way, over those who carry out evil devices.

8Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. Do not fret—it leads only to evil. 9For the wicked shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.

10Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look diligently for their place, they will not be there. 11But the meek shall inherit the land, and delight themselves in abundant prosperity.

12The wicked plot against the righteous, and gnash their teeth at them; 13but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he sees that their day is coming.

14The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows to bring down the poor and needy, to kill those who walk uprightly; 15their sword shall enter their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.

16Better is a little that the righteous person has than the abundance of many wicked.
17For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous.

18The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will abide forever; 19they are not put to shame in evil times, in the days of famine they have abundance.

20But the wicked perish, and the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures; they vanish—like smoke they vanish away.

21The wicked borrow, and do not pay back, but the righteous are generous and keep giving; 22for those blessed by the Lord shall inherit the land, but those cursed by him shall be cut off.

23Our steps are made firm by the Lord, when he delights in our way; 24though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand.

25I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. 26They are ever giving liberally and lending, and their children become a blessing.

27Depart from evil, and do good; so you shall abide forever. 28For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his faithful ones.

The righteous shall be kept safe forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off. 29The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it forever.

30The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak justice. 31The law of their God is in their hearts; their steps do not slip.

32The wicked watch for the righteous, and seek to kill them. 33The Lord will not abandon them to their power, or let them be condemned when they are brought to trial.

34Wait for the Lord, and keep to his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on the destruction of the wicked.

35I have seen the wicked oppressing, and towering like a cedar of Lebanon. 36Again I passed by, and they were no more; though I sought them, they could not be found.

37Mark the blameless, and behold the upright, for there is posterity for the peaceable. 38But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed; the posterity of the wicked shall be cut off.

39The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; he is their refuge in the time of trouble. 40The Lord helps them and rescues them; he rescues them from the wicked, and saves them, because they take refuge in him.

Psalm 57
1Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by. 2I cry to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me. 3He will send from heaven and save me, he will put to shame those who trample on me. God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness.

4I lie down among lions that greedily devour human prey; their teeth are spears and arrows, their tongues sharp swords.

5Be exalted, O God, above the heavens. Let your glory be over all the earth.

6They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my path, but they have fallen into it themselves. 7My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast. I will sing and make melody. 8Awake, my soul! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn. 9I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. 10For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens; your faithfulness extends to the clouds.

11Be exalted, O God, above the heavens. Let your glory be over all the earth.

Psalm 109
1Do not be silent, O God of my praise. 2For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me, speaking against me with lying tongues. 3They beset me with words of hate, and attack me without cause. 4In return for my love they accuse me, even while I make prayer for them. 5So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love.

6They say, “Appoint a wicked man against him; let an accuser stand on his right. 7When he is tried, let him be found guilty; let his prayer be counted as sin. 8May his days be few; may another seize his position. 9May his children be orphans, and his wife a widow. 10May his children wander about and beg; may they be driven out of the ruins they inhabit. 11May the creditor seize all that he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his toil. 12May there be no one to do him a kindness, nor anyone to pity his orphaned children. 13May his posterity be cut off; may his name be blotted out in the second generation. 14May the iniquity of his father be remembered before the Lord, and do not let the sin of his mother be blotted out. 15Let them be before the Lord continually, and may his memory be cut off from the earth. 16For he did not remember to show kindness, but pursued the poor and needy and the brokenhearted to their death. 17He loved to curse; let curses come on him. He did not like blessing; may it be far from him. 18He clothed himself with cursing as his coat, may it soak into his body like water, like oil into his bones. 19May it be like a garment that he wraps around himself, like a belt that he wears every day.”

20May that be the reward of my accusers from the Lord, of those who speak evil against my life. 21But you, O Lord my Lord, act on my behalf for your name’s sake; because your steadfast love is good, deliver me. 22For I am poor and needy, and my heart is pierced within me. 23I am gone like a shadow at evening; I am shaken off like a locust. 24My knees are weak through fasting; my body has become gaunt. 25I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they shake their heads.

26Help me, O Lord my God! Save me according to your steadfast love. 27Let them know that this is your hand; you, O Lord, have done it. 28Let them curse, but you will bless. Let my assailants be put to shame; may your servant be glad. 29May my accusers be clothed with dishonor; may they be wrapped in their own shame as in a mantle. 30With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord; I will praise him in the midst of the throng. 31For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save them from those who would condemn them to death.

Psalm 115
1Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness. 2Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?”

3Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases. 4Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. 5They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. 6They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. 7They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; they make no sound in their throats. 8Those who make them are like them; so are all who trust in them.

9O Israel, trust in the Lord! He is their help and their shield. 10O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord! He is their help and their shield. 11You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord! He is their help and their shield. 12The Lord has been mindful of us; he will bless us; he will bless the house of Israel; he will bless the house of Aaron; 13he will bless those who fear the Lord, both small and great.

14May the Lord give you increase, both you and your children. 15May you be blessed by the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

16The heavens are the Lord’s heavens, but the earth he has given to human beings. 17The dead do not praise the Lord, nor do any that go down into silence. 18But we will bless the Lord from this time on and forevermore. Praise the Lord!

Psalm 140
1Deliver me, O Lord, from evildoers; protect me from those who are violent, 2who plan evil things in their minds and stir up wars continually. 3They make their tongue sharp as a snake’s, and under their lips is the venom of vipers.

4Guard me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from the violent who have planned my downfall. 5The arrogant have hidden a trap for me, and with cords they have spread a net, along the road they have set snares for me.

6I say to the Lord, “You are my God; give ear, O Lord, to the voice of my supplications.” 7O Lord, my Lord, my strong deliverer, you have covered my head in the day of battle. 8Do not grant, O Lord, the desires of the wicked; do not further their evil plot.

9Those who surround me lift up their heads; let the mischief of their lips overwhelm them! 10Let burning coals fall on them! Let them be flung into pits, no more to rise! 11Do not let the slanderer be established in the land; let evil speedily hunt down the violent!

12I know that the Lord maintains the cause of the needy, and executes justice for the poor. 13Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall live in your presence.

Psalm 141
1I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me; give ear to my voice when I call to you. 2Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

3Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. 4Do not turn my heart to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with those who work iniquity; do not let me eat of their delicacies.

5Let the righteous strike me; let the faithful correct me. Never let the oil of the wicked anoint my head, for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds. 6When they are given over to those who shall condemn them, then they shall learn that my words were pleasant. 7Like a rock that one breaks apart and shatters on the land, so shall their bones be strewn at the mouth of Sheol.


8But my eyes are turned toward you, O God, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; do not leave me defenseless. 9Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me, and from the snares of evildoers. 10Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I alone escape.

No comments: