Friday, April 13, 2018

Lead Us Not into a Time of Testing



Since Pope Francis has suggested changing the liturgical wording of The Lord’s Prayer (the Our Father) from “lead us not into temptation” to “do not let us fall into temptation,” Christians of all varieties and even non-Christians have been talking it. The idea is to bring the translation used in worship in line with James 1:13, making it clear that “No one, when tempted, should say, ‘I am being tempted by God’; for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one.” Please understand, Pope Francis has not proposed changing Jesus’ prayer or the Bible, only suggesting a clearer translation in line with the rest of the Bible.
I think an even more important translation update would be to change “temptation” to “Do not bring us to the time of trial” as the NRSV does in both Matthew 6:13 and Luke 11:4. As I understand the Greek word peirasmos traditionally rendered “temptation” could also (sometimes better) be translated “time of trial” or “time of testing.” That would be consistent with the book of Job and probably Jesus’ 40 day experience in the desert following his baptism (Matthew 4; Mark 1; Luke 4). I think it also supports the idea of not suggesting God tempts us.
Along with millions of other Christians all over the world, through the centuries, I pray through the Lord’s Prayer daily. I frequently discuss with God the tests I am facing each day. In recent months I have sensed that a time of serious testing in coming upon all of us in the US who want to seriously follow Jesus as his faithful disciples. I am increasingly convinced this test is a time of spiritual and moral confusion and conflict being played out in public on a national and even international scale.
I have been amazed, even appalled, shocked and disappointed, surprised and incredulous at the number of leaders among evangelical Christians who are giving Donald Trump a free pass on his alleged and acknowledged sexual indiscretions. I am not at all suggesting that I expect the US President or any other government official (elected, appointed, or hired) to be my brand of Christian (or any brand of Christian). I affirm the US Constitution’s prohibition of any religious test for public office. I think our Christian forbearers, who came before Constantine made a distorted version of Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire, would agree that this is actually good for the authenticity and health of Christian faith and discipleship. The dilution and corruption of Christianity in the Christendom of Europe led to the dangerous idea that any nation could be “Christian.” The Puritans tried that in colonial New England and not only found it unsustainable, but that it undermined the faith of those who were serious about following Jesus. I would also add that my comments have nothing to do with political philosophy or any kind of comparison with either Bill or Hillary Clinton. What I am looking for in those in positions of public leadership, whether I agree with them on policy or not, is integrity, authenticity, and accountability. I mention this not to get into a debate about the cultural consensus about sexuality, but as an important test of spiritual and moral conflict and confusion those of us who follow Jesus are facing.
However, I am much more concerned about a less obvious but more ominous test of spiritual and moral conflict and confusion that seems to be emerging in recent weeks. That is the juxtaposition of increasing political instability and the beating of the drums of war. People are leaving Congress and the current administration at an unusually rapid pace. That so many are Republicans must be making party regulars uncomfortable. Anticipating the 2018 midterm elections and the 2020 presidential election evokes both hope and fear, depending on one’s political presuppositions. What effect the #MeToo and #MarchforOur Lives movements will have remains to be seen. To be sure career politicians are nervous. Some posturing that seems to prepare for challenging the validity of those elections already seems to be underway. At the same time, we are hearing both vague and direct signals that military action is being contemplated in one trouble spot or another: Syria, North Korea, Iran. That a nation’s people tend to rally around their leaders in times of war is axiomatic and understandable. Provoking a war in a time of political insecurity to manufacture national unity has been employed as a political strategy in many times and places. I am not saying that this is consciously or unconsciously pursued right now, but I think even the prospect of it may portend a time of testing, of spiritual and moral conflict and confusion for those of us who follow Jesus.
Understand, I am not suggesting anything good about the regimes in Syria, North Korea, Iran, or any other troubled or totalitarian place in the world. But I would say that outside military intervention almost inevitably exacerbates the instability and suffering. The recent history of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya are cautionary tales we should heed. Violence inherently breeds more violence. When we say things such as, “Military force is the only language they understand,” we are betraying our own failure of imagination. I know it is exceedingly hard work, but if we really care to bring peace and justice to these troubled places, we must commit ourselves to exactly that work.
I am convinced that unilateral executive or administrative action is not only fraught with moral and accountability danger, it invites political disaster and division. The US Constitution demands that Congress be the avenue for declaring and authorizing war. Of course, in a time of political chaos, getting a clear direction might be difficult, perhaps prompting an executive claim of national emergency as a pretext for proceeding to war without congressional consent. I would hope that our military leaders would have the moral insight and fortitude to refuse to be ordered to fight an ill-advised war. We must remember the big lesson of the Nuremberg trials: following orders does not excuse or justify immoral or illegal acts in war. From private to general, all military personnel are required to refuse to obey orders they believe are immoral or illegal.
I readily acknowledge that I have been a pacifist of religious conviction my entire adult life and that this perspective influences what I have written. I want to add quickly that I respect and do not judge those Christians who seek to faithfully live as disciples of Jesus in military service. I can only say that my pacifism is intrinsic and integral to my aspiration to follow Jesus as a faithful disciple which precludes that for me. I do ask that I be similarly respected without demeaning judgment.
Having said that, my concern here about this time of testing, of spiritual and moral conflict and confusion for those of us who follow Jesus is not dependent on a pacifist ethic. Just as I do not believe the concept of a “Christian” nation is valid, I have no illusions about any nation adopting a pacifist ethic for international policy. Nevertheless, ethical principles are essential to discernment should the juxtaposition of increasing political instability and the beating of the drums of war lead to misguided military action. Christians of all political and theological persuasions must consistently call for adherence to the classical principles of just war. These trace to Greek antiquity and are closely paralleled in Deuteronomy 20. They were expressed by the pre-Reformation Church Fathers in hopes of minimizing and regulating war in Christendom, when “Christian” princes would send their armies to wage war on other “Christian” princes for a host of reasons, real and imagined.
1.      Just cause – self-defense only
2.      Just intent – restoration of peace with justice for both friend and foe
3.      Last resort – only after all other paths have failed
4.      Lawful declaration – never the prerogative of individuals or parties
5.      Immunity of non-combatants
6.      Limited objectives – unconditional surrender and the destruction of economies and institutions is unwarranted
7.      Limited means – use only sufficient force to resist violence and restore peace[i]
I conclude by returning to my reflections on the line from the Lord’s Prayer, “Do not bring us to the time of trial” and my concern that those of us in the US may be facing a time of testing, of spiritual and moral confusion and conflict. I have written this as part of my earnest prayer that we will not be brought to such a time of trial. However, as I pray as Jesus instructed each day, the news of that day intensifies this prayer. These thoughts have been simmering in my heart and mind so persistently that I felt compelled to get them written. I genuinely pray that neither national hubris nor political desperation will bring war, but I did not want to come to the place of regretting that I had not expressed this sooner.



[i] Holmes, Arthur F., War and Christian Ethics, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1975, pp. 4-5

No comments: