Friday, August 16, 2019

Love Song?

The apparent hymn of judgment in Isaiah 5 when justice becomes bloodshed and righteousness a cry (v. 7), is introduced as a love song (v. 1) apparently sung by God for the beloved community. Several times Scripture affirms that God chastises in love. Good human parents also seek to discipline their children in love rather than anger. Nevertheless, casting the hymn of the vineyard (also see Psalm 80) as a love song feels incongruous. On my own contemplative journey I have had a sample of intimacy with God as the ultimate lover. So this week I am exploring how God's loving discipline continues to shape me. I am realizing more and more that my prayers are not so much my love song to God as listening for God's love song to me and all who are walking with Jesus.

No comments: