Friday, April 3, 2020

Give Us this Day Our Daily Bread


Praying the Lord's Prayer (the "Our Father") has been part of my daily rhythm for many years, not just passing the words through my mind or mouth, but letting Jesus' model form my prayers for that particular day. One of my pastor friends suggested that praying The Lord's Prayer at a normal pace takes about the 20 seconds recommended for hand washing, so it has been getting deeply ingrained in me.
Typically, when we get to "give us this day our daily bread," with think of our own sustenance. For that generally means being thankful not only that we have not missed any meals but have full pantry and no unpaid bills. With that also comes a reminder not to trust any of that for security but to live one day at a time and trust God to get us through the day, not storing up treasures on earth.
In my typical Benedictine rhythm, Sext (at lunch time) prompts me to pray for those who are not enjoying a meal today, whether food insecure in my own community or around the world, but also those who are suffering famine anywhere. But these days, the repetition of "give us this day our daily bread" is prompting me to pray for those who are out of work during the quarantine and those who are infected and those who have lost a breadwinner to the virus.

No comments: