Sunday, April 19, 2020

Living the Prayer of St. Francis


 
Giotto - Francis and the Sultan
For very long time I have included the Prayer of St. Francis in my daily contemplative rhythm and drawn on it as a reference point in my relationships. I can’t, however, claim even close to the consistency I aspire to with living it.

A while ago I was discussing this with my spiritual director specifically in terms of my role as caregiver for my wife and her father. Those are not particularly conflictual relationships, but with her Alzheimer’s and his moving from his own home in Minnesota to a senior living residence near our home in Wisconsin, the Prayer of St. Francis has informed my efforts to be a source of peace for them in their situations. The quarantine from the COVID-19 pandemic has brought new challenges as she misses the social interaction that buoyed her spirits each week, and not only is he isolated, I cannot be with him to tend to his basic personal needs as I had been doing.  Nevertheless, I do believe my daily encounters with this prayer help keep me focused on my call to be God’s instrument of peace for them.

I must admit I have struggled with being God’s instrument of peace in the fragmented, divisive context of both today’s Church and society. I’m not suggesting that it was ever easy, but in both realms we seem to have moved from discussions and even debates about our disagreements into take-no-prisoners, allow-no-compromise, my-way-or-the highway, binary thinking. I am often inclined to respond with fact-checking and logic-challenging. As much as I try to avoid direct arguing, I find I get sucked in too frequently. I recognize that even these restrained responses do not seem to modify anyone’s positions.

The Prayer of St. Francis challenges me with the realization that winning a debate or silencing a disagreement does not bring God’s peace. Conversely, ignoring destructive perspectives is not peace either. More and more I am recognizing that I cannot impose peace on someone else, but I continue to struggle with peace in my own heart as the conflicts of culture and Church disrupt closer relationships of acquaintances, friends, and family. I am wrestling with how to be at peace with my own conscience without becoming just another debater.

If I was preaching a sermon or leading a retreat on how to become an instrument of God’s peace, I would need some sort of takeaway, conclusion, or practical application. That I don’t have. I don’t intend to leave you hanging, but I am recognizing that I am going to be perpetually growing into this the rest of my days.

No comments: