Saturday, August 8, 2020

No Gloating

Jerry Falwell, Jr. and I are different theological and political brands, but I take no joy in his current embarrassment, rather I lament. Nor do I chock it up to “conservative” hypocrisy any more than I blame “liberal” license for the misconduct of others. I must guard my own vulnerabilities. I do not know (and probably do not want to know) the whole story behind the picture that cost him his position of leadership. Perhaps poor judgment to post a picture of some silliness that was wrongly presumed to be innocent. Perhaps the proverbial tip of the iceberg of much deeper issues. I personally carry scars from the wounds of sexual, financial, and power misconduct of some I have respected and trusted, even clergy colleagues and friends. These sorts of things damage the credibility of all who are known to claim to follow Jesus and all who are entrusted with public leadership. A dramatic, tearful confession (reminiscent of Jimmy Swaggart) will not suffice - only fruit worthy of repentance (Matthew 3:8; Luke 3:8). I just can’t resist adding as an aside that is what I expect but have not observed from how Bill Clinton and Donald Trump handled their sexual misconduct/marital infidelity. Yes, these sorts of things prompt the cynical question: how can we know who can be trusted? Perhaps more to the point: how can I cultivate being a trustworthy person? I dare not gloat nor strut any posture of moral superiority.

No comments: