Saturday, January 16, 2021

When the Nations Are in an Uproar

With all of the turmoil following the election that erupted with the storming of the US Capitol last week, I found Psalm 46 in my prayer rotation for today to be both powerful and reassuring as we anticipate the inauguration next week. The whole Psalm resounds with faith, and I have excerpted and reordered reflecting my conversation with God this morning.

“The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.” (vv. 6-7)

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change.” (vv.1-2)

“‘Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth.’” (v. 10)

After soaking in the assurance of God’s presence in times of turmoil, I came to Psalm 106 which always gives me humbling pause.

“Both we and our ancestors have sinned; we have committed iniquity, have done wickedly.” (v. 6)

[God] “gave them what they asked, but sent a wasting disease among them.” (v. 15)

I shudder at the KJV translation, “sent leanness into their soul.”

 

 

No comments: