Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Epiphany Today

Today is the Feast of the Epiphany, sometimes called Three Kings Day. It celebrates the revealing (that’s what epiphany means) of Christ to the Gentile world, represented by the Magi. I can’t escape the irony that this will also be a day of revealing in the US Congress, though in a markedly different way.

As I have been doing daily lectio divina on the story of the Magi visiting the Christ child in Matthew 2, these lines scream from the page.

“When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him.” (v. 3)

“When Herod saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, he was infuriated.” (v. 16)

Whatever anyone’s political perspective, today portends to be a day of fright and fury – fear and anger. In my daily lectio divina I have been prompted to pray for trust and peace – faith and love. As the news unfolds through the day, I invite all to join in similar prayer.

No comments: