Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 Was Not Only Pandemic



On New Year’s Eve as we reflect back on 2020 we have faced many challenges besides covid-19. Early in the year several incidents of racial tension prompted broad, fresh efforts toward racial justice and reconciliation (with predictable pushback). We had the most bitter presidential election of my lifetime with a post-election fiasco that is still ongoing. An unprecedented number of storms of unprecedented strength brought suffering around the world. We could continue with this disheartening inventory. Each of us and our families has faced our own individual challenges. I begin this way, not to wallow in despair but to encourage us to reflect broadly on 2020.

In doing so, I propose a healthy activity for observing New Year’s Eve 2020 would be to create an appreciation and thanks inventory. Our family has had a four-generation mutual support embracing Wisconsin, Texas, and Pennsylvania. Our family has four educators and three students who have not only kept teaching and learning, but have been growing in new ways. Milwaukee Mennonite Church has used technology and creativity to nourish and expand how we live together as a community of those who trust and follow Jesus. I have had completely unexpected opportunities to write for the Guideposts periodical publication Strength and Grace: Devotionals for Caregivers, which I believe has helped sharpen my caregiving for Candy and her Dad. I hope I have primed the pump enough to stimulate you to generate your own healthy 2020 retrospective inventory.

No comments: