Monday, February 8, 2021

Servant Girl “Spoils of War”

 


I am just starting my week of lectio divina on the story of Elisha’s healing of Naaman in 2 Kings 5:1-14. (The whole story goes for the whole chapter.) Today my attention was riveted on the young girl captured when Aram raided Israel. Her age isn’t specified, but I am guessing pre-puberty or she would have been considered a young woman and perhaps sexually available to Naaman. (The text makes no mention of that, but sex trafficking as a part of war is hardly new.)

 The first thing that strikes me is how empathetic she was to Naaman and how comfortable she felt talking to his wife. After all, she was their slave, at best. Besides, she was far from home. Yet, she expressed concern for Naaman’s health. I am thinking she is a role model for loving enemies as Jesus taught. (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27,35)

 The second thing that caught my attention is that despite being young and female, she was very aware of the prophet in Samaria. As the story unfolds, he is identified as Elisha. She had great confidence that he had the God-given power to heal Naaman, and a confidence that with the opportunity, he would do it. Apparently she believed Elisha also practiced the ethic of loving enemies.

 And thirdly, she was convincing enough that Naaman’s wife told him, who told the king of Aram, who gave it enough credibility to send a letter and large bribe to the King of Israel. No surprise that one power person would appeal to another power person and miss entirely the real power of humility of both the servant girl and Elisha (who didn’t even come out to see Naaman). I think I’ll wait for at least another day before reflecting on the centrality of humility in this story.

No comments: