Saturday, September 17, 2022

I Am Not My Own

The Heidelberg Catechism is not widely known outside of Reformed theological circles, and even there other creedal statements are higher profile. In the 1980s I found a significant anchor to go with my life metaphor of living in tents (Hebrews 11:9). In the 1990s I added it to the Jesus Prayer (“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner” based on Luke 18:13) as a focus for my centering prayer. These two keep circulating continuously in my mind and heart which have served as reliable compass for my journey with Jesus. Recently, when there seems to be so much emphasis on people clamoring to claim “what is mine,” I am reminded that even I am not my own.

My only comfort in life and in death is that I am not my own, but belong - body and soul, in life and in death - to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 1

No comments: