Saturday, September 1, 2018

God's Presence in a Bowl of Oatmeal


With somewhat fitful sleep through the night, I woke about 4:00 am with my mind swirling in non-specific anxiety. No particular reason I could identify, though returning to sleep evaded me. I got up and made a bowl of oatmeal, my go-to insomnia remedy. I don't know if something physiological is going on or if it's all psychological, but I did return to restful sleep promptly and woke feeling rested and thankful just before 7:00 am. Then in my prayer Psalms this morning (1, 31, 61, 91, 121) every one spoke in some way of resting in God's steadfast love (hesed for you Hebrew buffs). Is hesed an ingredient in oatmeal? These lines from Psalm 31 seemed especially powerful and I took quite a bit of time with my second mug of tea to let them soak in.
  • Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.
  • My times are in your hand;
  • Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.
  • Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord.

No comments: