Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Muzzle My Mouth



For at least a year I have struggled with my urge to comment on distressing events, knowing that my voice adds little and changes no one, and I need inner calm to care for my wife and her dad. Thus my personal prayer this morning comes from Psalm 39:1-3,9; 69:6.

I said, “I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue; I will keep a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence.” I was silent and still; I held my peace to no avail; my distress grew worse, my heart became hot within me. While I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: ... I am silent; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it.
Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me, O Lord God of hosts; do not let those who seek you be dishonored because of me, O God of Israel.



No comments: