Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Time to Curl Up on God's Lap



In light of the conjunction of so much uncertainty and confusion these days, I found these lines from the first and last of my Psalm prayers this morning helpful prompts for my chat with God.


Q: If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?
A: The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord's throne is in heaven.
(11:3-4) The implication is not that the Lord's temple and throne are distant but are accessible. God is engaged with our human anxieties.

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.
(131:1-2) When troubling thoughts churn in my mind, I know I have raised my sight too high and need the humility to curl up on God's lap as a child with a nurturing mother. I know Van Gogh did not do this drawing (Sien With Child on Her Lap) with that in mind, but I often use it for a focus icon for my centering prayer when I need the peace of God's lap. I will be there later today, as I often am on the 11th of each month.

No comments: