Friday, October 30, 2020

“Is the Lord among us or not?” Exodus 17.7

 Words for me this week drawn from reflecting on the lectionary passages for Sunday:

You shall know that among you is the living God, the Lord of all the earth. Joshua 3:10-11 Joshua was at a very different place than I am today, but I still need to know that the living God, Lord of all the earth is among people of faith.
"The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted." (Matthew 23:11-12) This countercultural reality permeated Jesus' life and teaching and strikes me as relevant today as ever.
I think the juxtaposition is significant. Only in humility can I recognize God among us, I dare not presume to claim God for myself.

No comments: