Thursday, October 15, 2020

God's Voice Roaring Today

I think of my monthly journey through the Psalms as prayer in the sense that they prompt my conversation with God. Many of the Psalms are cast directly as prayer but many might also be considered to be pondering of the Psalmists' side of these conversations with God. Only occasionally do the Psalms record God speaking directly.

However, this morning when I came to Psalm 75 (as I do the 15th of each month) God's words stood out as addressing our present realities in which we are living not only with the most expansive pandemic of our lifetimes but considerable contentiousness about how to respond to it, with reenergized pursuit of racial justice and an increasingly vocal pushback against it, catastrophic climatological crises from hurricanes to wild fires, all in what seems to me to be the most vicious political season of my lifetime. Against this backdrop, God's words in vv. 2-5 roared.
At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity. When the earth totters, with all its inhabitants, it is I who keep its pillars steady. I say to the boastful, “Do not boast,” and to the wicked, “Do not lift up your horn; do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with insolent neck.”

No comments: