Friday, October 2, 2020

Covid-19 and the Trumps

Other than a few affirmations of some gracious responses of some friends (who have openly taken exception to Donald Trump) to the news that the Trumps have tested positive (and seem to be showing some so far mild symptoms), I have purposely refrained from commenting too quickly. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t have thoughts, which also does not mean that they contribute anything unique to anyone. Nevertheless, I feel a certain moral responsibility to be clear about my response.

 

Have you ever had an experience so miserable it prompted you to say, “I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy”? For those who have dissented from Donald Trump’s words and actions, especially around the response to the coronavirus pandemic, I’m sure the temptation to gloat is alluring. I am thankful I have not seen that in my circle of those who have publically expressed their disagreements. I am also thankful that I have not seen scolding from those who have been Trump’s defenders.

 

That “worst enemy” sentiment reminds me of Jesus expectation for those who follow him to love their enemies. (Matthew 5:43-48; Luke 6:27-35, which is affirmed by Paul in Romans 12:17-21) Pretty typically, when I ponder this, I recognize an inclination to deny that I have any enemies, even among those with whom I have serious political, theological, and ethical disagreements. In my years of pastoral ministry, I did not consider those who seemed to be complainers and trouble makers to be my enemies. I tried to recognize that their concerns helped identify things that needed attention, even if not the approach they were proposing. Perhaps some of them may have regarded me as an enemy, but I sought God’s help in loving them with respect.

 

I am sure Donald Trump has no idea who I am. Might he consider me to be an enemy if he knew about my convictions? I am not going to presume that. So how do I love him in all of the turmoil of this time? Certainly not by endorsing policies with which I cannot agree. Praying? Certainly! I have written about how Psalm 72 guides my praying for all in positions of public leadership and responsibility. When it comes to praying for the sick, I don’t think James 5:14-16 is relevant (unless the Trumps wanted to call on those they might to consider to be elders of the church). As a pastor I regularly prayed for church members and others who were sick. I didn’t consider that I was telling God what to do, as though my prayers compelled God to heal. I did (and still do) express to God my love and concern for those who are ill, believing God can and does heal, but not that I have some magic power.

 

Especially when people are facing long-term, life altering healthy challenges (such as my mother’s rheumatoid arthritis) or when people are coming to the end of their lives, I invoke Psalm 31:5 to commend them into God’s hands in faith. I think that gives me a clue about how I can be praying with love for the Trumps without political contamination. Especially knowing that what happens with them affects the whole country, I can relinquish them into God’s hands trusting that God can handle this better than I can.

No comments: