Monday, October 19, 2020

My Prayer for Responding to the Vicious Political Ridicule, Mockery, Insults, Cruel Caricatures, Spiteful Satire that Is Spewing with Greater and Greater Intensity as Voting Has Begun and the Election Approaches

Most churchgoers are aware that Jesus prayed Psalm 22:1 from the cross. Other Psalms echoed in Jesus words as he hung dying. We recognize the prayer from Psalm 31:5 even if we are not aware of its source. Today my Psalm prayers brought me to Psalm 69, which is not often alluded to in preaching and teaching about Jesus’ crucifixion, but when held up against the Gospel Passion Narratives, it sheds incisive light on Jesus’ praying through his suffering.

 I often find verse 6 instructive as I deal with the challenges that come with difficult relationships. Today it prompted me to examine how I respond to some of the political expressions that seem to be multiplying exponentially. Some folk pass on extremely demeaning political expressions along with pleas for courtesy and balance (presumably from those who disagree), seeming to be unaware of the incongruity.

 I do have political opinions that are not secret, but I endeavor to articulate them in a way that prompts thinking rather than argument (though I know I am not always successful). I aspire to have my political opinions shaped by Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) and Solomon’s Prayer for the King (Psalm 72) rather than being squeezed into the mold of the world’s political parties and categories. (Romans 12:2 – Phillips) I offer this from Psalm 69:6 not so much as instructive for those who proclaim their political opinions with or without malice as a prayer for God to infuse my responses in these turbulent, divisive times.

 

Psalm 69:6

Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me, O Lord God of hosts;

do not let those who seek you be dishonored because of me.

No comments: