Wednesday, February 26, 2020

02-25-2020 Journal Entry



In the prayer time at the end of worship with Milwaukee Mennonite Church (February 23). Chris Gooding asked for prayer for the L’Arche Communities in the wake of revelations that Jean Vanier, L’Arche founder, had engaged in totally inappropriate sexual behavior with a number of women for many years – apparently “coached” in this by his mentor Fr. Thomas Philippe. Thankfully (I suppose) these were not “core members” (mentally disabled L’Arche members), but a group that was seeking spiritual (mystical) experience. As a “spiritual director,” Vanier (and Philippe) as it were, seduced these women into sexual acts with them presented as experiences with the love of Jesus and/or Mary. I cringe even to write this. Apparently the group was a guise for Vanier (and Philippe) to recruit, groom, select, and misuse women as sexual predators are wont to do.
On hearing this, I became so distressed that I broke down and wept in worship. Thought I had not met Jean Vanier, our four months with L’Arche Daybreak in 1992 brought me into the circle of his influence. His presence was clear in the community. I read much of his writing and came to regard him as something of a personal hero. When it comes to my spiritual understanding of people who are weak and marginalized (poor, minorities, immigrants, etc.) he definitely shaped my thinking. And now I am asking myself if I have inadvertently absorbed evil, destructive thought patterns too. I am feeling fragile and vulnerable.
If Jean Vanier (regarded with respect among those who are concerned for people with mental disabilities almost of the level of Mother Teresa) could crash this way, I am certainly not exempt or immune, though I know of nothing in my past on a comparable level. But this is not a limited experience. John Howard Yoder contributed much, not only to my pacifist Christian ethic, but also my whole adult life Anabaptist worldview. And I did meet and correspond with him. As I have pondered the Barman Declaration that seems to me to be so relevant to the schism in the US churches in the Trump era. I am troubled by learning more about Karl Barth’s adultery and questioning whether his writing can be trusted.
Then in my Prayer Psalms today, I encountered these lines that seemed to give me a way to pour this out to God.
Psalm 25:17
Relieve the troubles of my heart, and bring me out of my distress.

Psalm 25:21
May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you.

Psalm 55:4-8
My heart is in anguish within me, the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror overwhelms me. And I say, “O that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest; truly, I would flee far away; I would lodge in the wilderness; I would hurry to find a shelter for myself from the raging wind and tempest.”

Psalm 55:12-14
It is not enemies who taunt me— I could bear that; it is not adversaries who deal insolently with me— I could hide from them. But it is you, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend, with whom I kept pleasant company; we walked in the house of God with the throng.

With Candy’s Alzheimer’s, I cannot discuss this with her, so it stews within me, even as I try to keep her from seeing my inner distress.
I have an appointment this morning with my therapist, Lonna Kannenberg, and will explore how to deal with this, and Candy, and her Dad (with whom I had a good time yesterday talking while working on his taxes), but not the direct spiritual implications. Thursday I am getting together with Peter Eash-Scott of Milwaukee Mennonite Church. It’s been a while, but these have been good conversations. I’ve asked my spiritual director, Matthew Keiser, for an appointment to really look at the spiritual angle of my concern (appointment on Thursday March 5).
While Lonna is older than my sons (I believe she’s also a grandmother), she’s younger than I am, which is normal now that I am in my 70s. But Peter and Matthew are the same generation as my sons, and I know they have articulated some level of looking to me as a model, while I am very aware that I am looking to them to help me on this journey. I guess looking down a generation for guidance and support is normal as we embark on the final laps of our race (with a cloud of witnesses cheering as they wait for us, per Hebrews 12:1-2).


No comments: