Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Sky Gets Dark, Slowly


https://medium.com/@sockapalaniappan/the-sky-gets-dark-slowly-146842d772dc




Thanks for sharing this. I will need to go back to it for deeper reflection. I really identified with our journey. In our 70s, my wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2016, and her 93 year old Dad (she's his only child) moved from MN to a senior living facility near us in WI. As I am aware that my own darkness is coming slowly, I am in the role of dual caregiver for two people I love whose darkness is accelerating. We have good family support (sharing a duplex with middle son and family); I participate in a caregiver support group; I see a therapist regularly; I keep up my contemplative/spiritual rhythms; I try to eat and exercise and rest/sleep healthily; I get my own time writing fiction; I try to maintain balance, rhythm, pace, priorities. My wife says that every day we cry a little and laugh a little. We purposely celebrate every day's little joys, trying not to let anticipation of future challenges (or whether my wife will remember them tomorrow) steal our joy. Back in 2011 I wrote a novel about faith, doubt, and wrestling with God when facing mortality, which has continued to help me on this journey as the sky darkens slowly but relentlessly.

No comments: